Wednesday 11 June 2014

When the body fails the mind takes over

I wasn't planning on doing a running update again for a while. I have a 10k in just over 3 weeks time so that would have probably been the next installment. Last week, for my long run, I set the alarm for 5:40 giving me time to have a snack and get myself organised and up to the woods ready to run at sunrise (6:45). This really seemed to help, the humidity was reduced, there was a breeze and I got about 3/4 of the way round my route before I really got all sticky and melting. Don't get me wrong, I'm still way slower than I would have liked but I actually enjoyed the run.

So, I had high hopes for a repeat performance this week as I edged the distance up a little. I even managed to eat a little more and was feeling good until I stepped outside. I could feel straight away the humidity was high even though the sun wasn't up. From the moment I started running my body got that horrible layer of moisture and I'm not sure my choice of t-shirt was exactly helping to wick it away. Add to that a generally feeling of tiredness and it was a struggle most of the way round.

My time was even slower than last week when I passed the same distance and I had to dig deep to push out the extra few kilometers. Afterwards I stopped at a cafe for a cold drink, feeling a bit blue looking at my terrible split times on my watch. I was beginning to wonder if there was any way I could complete the 21km that I have entered in August. If I am melting after 13km I'm not sure how that last 8 will feel.

That's when someone ran past me with the slogan on the back of his t-shirt "When the body fails the mind takes over" and that made me smile. A few simple words to remind me that its pushing your body that tests your mind. The only one who is disappointed in my time is me, the only one I am trying to beat is me. And with that note I won't be aiming for a time in 3 weeks when I do that 10km, I'll be aiming to finish and to enjoy it, thank you running man for putting that back in perspective!

1 comment:

  1. It is all about our expectations that we give ourselves, and the right mind-set. But the heat must be difficult to overcome.... How about I package up some North East Haar and post it out to you! But seriously listen to your body to when it is screaming REST!

    ReplyDelete